Google was named after the word “Googol” which is the mathematical term for a 1 followed by 100 zeros. It’s a very large number. Google is the most effective information tool in the history of mankind. The capability of internet search tools can boggle the mind, but contemplating the vastness of Google can certainly hurt the brain. This is a company with a very large number of users, and a laser-like focus on finding the right answer for each and every one of them, more than 1 billion per day. A user might be a woman in Atlanta trying to decide what car to buy or a doctor in Osaka looking for the latest study on an unusual illness.
Google: What it is
Google is the most respected and used search engine in the world. It searches billions of Web pages and indexes them to allow for searches of the page’s content and title. Google is simple and yet the search engine used is fast and powerful. For example, if you search for Ford Motor Company you will receive more than 49 million results (“hits”) in about .22 seconds! It will then rank the results by relevancy taking into account the quality of the results.
Google: How it Works
- Googlebot also known as a spider, which is basically a web software program, finds and fetches web pages.
- An indexer sorts every word on every page and stores the resulting index of words in a huge database.
- The query processor compares your search query to the index and recommends the documents that it considers most relevant.
The Greatness of Google
Here are reasons why Google has many users:
- Searches and Indexes over 1 Trillion Web pages
- Around 90 Billion searches are conducted each month worldwide on google sites
- Over 600 Million daily Visitors
- It is the world’s #1 website
- Returns relevant results
- It tends to be good at selecting links that closely match your search query
- What you want is usually near the top
- Identifies Ads and Sponsored Links
- It doesn’t sell placement of search results
- Sponsored links and ads are marked and kept separate from search results
- Fast and Simple to Use
- Results are found in less than a second
- It’s clear and uncluttered
- Continually Improves its Search Results
- Its capabilities are enhanced and expanded to match the dynamic growth and changing nature of the web.
- Search results include an excerpt (or “snippet”) of the text that matches your query with your search terms in boldface
- Packs Results with Information and with Links Related to your Query
- Shows a Page Even When it’s Gone or its Link is Inaccessible
- Takes a snapshot of each page it examines and caches (stores) these as a backup. If the original isn’t available, you can access Google’s cached version. Your search terms will be highlighted in color on the cached page, making it easy to find the sections of the page relevant to your Google query.